Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Long Death Of Master Blue Monkey

We had a death in our family this week. Master Blue Monkey was the coolest little Betta there ever was. My son bugged us into submission to get this little bugger. We weren't sure he was responsible enough to have him. Turns out he was a pretty good little dad (at first)... but then Mom had to pester him to feed him every night.

In fact- I kinda developed a love for Master Blue Monkey. He was so excited every time I would walk up and look at him through his glass. He was as engaging as a fish could be and always wagged his little rear fin at me. I'm not kidding- I think Master Blue Monkey loved me too.

Well, in Betta time we though- Master Blue Monkey lived a long time. We had him over a year and a half. According to the pet shop people- that's about the life span of a Betta. Now that I research it on-line... I think they lied to us to make us feel ok about him dying.

About a week ago- my son recognized that Master Blue Monkey wasn't acting as chipper. The next day his head looked a little big. The next day he wouldn't eat. The next day he looked skinnier. Until several days of no eating and moving at all. He was so still- several times we thought he was dead... only for him to perk up when we touched him.

Well, finally Master Blue Monkey died. I waited for my son to get home and we fished him out, walked to the toilet and said our goodbyes. Gill from Finding Nemo says "All drains lead to the ocean"- and we thought that was fitting for him to become one with the ocean.

It was a sad, long, drawn out process and my son and I felt so bad when it happened, but we truly enjoyed him while he was here. Immediately my son wanted to go out and get another fish. We are holding him off to buy him one for Christmas (shhh-- don't tell).

It's kinda surprising how much affection we felt for this little fish- but he was truly a cool little dude!

R.I.P Master Blue Monkey.

No comments: