Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Guest Blog: If at First You Don’t Succeed by Vanessa Richards


Each week I want to highlight a successful woman's story here on this platform. Last week, Miranda VonFricken talked about Plan B. If you want to share your story email me at JoDeeKenney@gmail.com for more information.

Today Meteorologist Vanessa Richards talks about not allowing painful experiences define you. It's true that you never know what people truly go through in life, especially if they have a smile and personality as big as the sun. You know Vanessa as a dependable weather forecaster who gets you out the door with the proper gear on, a community volunteer and my friend and coworker who I talk with every morning on Spectrum news, but you may not know her whole story. Today she bravely shares her tale of perseverance and offers inspiration for you on your journey to success. I hope she inspires you as much as she does me- JoDee

Vanessa and her husband Matt


After a young girl saw the movie Twister in 1998, a dream was born. I was 10 years old and I discovered what my lifelong passion would be. Today, I have been a TV Meteorologist for 10 years and counting, teach part time at SUNY Oswego, married a fellow meteorologist, and have found much happiness and success. This is the Vanessa Richards most of my viewers know. What many people don’t know is the journey, trials and tribulations, and mountains climbed to get here today. However, it’s journeys like mine that many people can relate to and have found themselves faced with in one sense or another.

Many know me as the meteorologist with a lot to say and a big personality to go with it, but as a child I was quite the opposite. My elementary school years were filled with tumultuous home conditions including alcoholism and domestic violence. I hadn’t even begun to think of such concepts as success, I was thinking survival. Home life greatly impacted my performance in school as well as my personality. I became a withdrawn and painfully-shy child. I was content with staying in the middle of the pack, flying under the radar, and just getting by. This would all change by 5th grade.

My 5th grade teacher took an interest to me. He asked me to join an after school program called Odyssey of the Mind which I stayed in until I graduated high school, called on me frequently in class, and worked with me on my studies. Before I knew it I was coming out of my shell and I started to see the potential in myself. I spent the rest of my early school career rising up through the ranks, discovering myself, and getting my stride.

Once it was time to choose a college to study weather, I had another mountain in the way of my passion; MATH. Oh, you mean I have to be good at math to be a meteorologist? A painful meeting with my school guidance counselor had me thinking I may never reach my dream. I was told to find a career that was better suited with my skill set; English, Public Speaking, Writing. I will never forget being told that day, ‘if you do this you are going to fail, you will be wasting your time pursuing this given how poor your math skills are’. After a day of crying, cursing, and searching my soul, I decided I would just have to fail then because I was going to college to study Meteorology.


My college years began by going to a local community college to get my math grades up. After 2 years and a lot of tough love from my math professors I was ready for the big leagues. I went to SUNY Oswego where I entered the Meteorology program with 60 other bright eyed students. It took me 3 more years, but I made it to graduation day. Out of those 60 students, only 12 of us made it through the program and only 2 people graduated with high honors. I am proud to say I was one of those students; and as they say in the movies, the rest is history.

I believe many people flight tremendous battles that, in the moment, seem unfair, painful, un-survivable, and pointless. I have had moments I felt like the world was against me. However, I believe it’s in these moments that we are given the fire and determination to overcome and our thirst for SUCCESS is greater than anyone could ever imagine. So if you find yourself in a bad situation you can’t control, a conversation with someone who doesn’t believe in you, or even come to doubt yourself; just like the change in the WEATHER, this too shall pass, you will overcome, and stay true to your heart!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this was a really inspiring story i am glad you overcame your fears to become what you wanted to be
i enjoy watching you on the weather..when you hear a bad forecast it`s a little easier to take coming from a nice pleasant person.
Keep up the good work.


Lou Frank