Monday, June 10, 2013

Yard Work


When we relocated to Albany a long time ago we had the choice between two homes- one had a small, manageable yard. The downfall was it had little privacy. Or we could get a large, very high maintenance yard with a lot of privacy. My husband insisted lets get the one with the larger yard. He "LOVES" doing yard work--- is what he said.

Quickly the intricately detailed flower beds became over grow, they got gutted and quickly replaced with Hostas and other plants that can't easily be killed. This is how we roll. As much as we want to have green thumbs--- we just don't have them and frankly we don't have time.

It's even a chore to keep up the grass. So, imagine my delight when my husband said he wanted to till the garden and mow the law yesterday! Whoo hoo! Hubby's motivated! He did just what he set out to do. I can't wait for the veggies to be planted and I sat out on my deck and enjoyed looking at a nicely mowed lawn. Then he put out the sprinkler.

"Can I ask you why you're watering the lawn you just mowed?" He responded "Because it's dry and it needs water." My thought (I didn't dare say it) was, but now the lawn is going to grow even faster! I mean- we've gotten quite a bit of rain lately. It looks pretty healthy to me. It didn't look like it needed to be watered further.

Oh well- the sprinkler ran for at least an hour- possibly more. I'm pretty sure the lawn grew at least an inch! We will be back in our old predicament in less than a week. I'm sure my lawn will be overgrown again! It is a never ending battle and I just don't know how people who love to do yard work actually enjoy it. I only like the end result.

Do you have a green thumb? Or are you like me- you like to look at a pretty lawn but hate to put in the work? I'd love to get your input on this one.

No comments: