Perhaps this is a little over the top... but that's how we roll. Apparently I wasn't the only one who had the same idea to go out and buy a secret stash of treats- so it can't be too out of the norm. I suspect we will be doing a story in the near future about the surge in sales for Hostess brand products in light of their announcement that production of the well known company's products is over.
YNN Albany Reporter Lori Chung came back from her story on the local closing of a distribution center with one of the last boxes of Twinkies in hand yesterday. She said one more shipment was on its way- and then that's it. When I heard that news I had to go out and buy some treats that I had never even thought of buying- just because I knew we wouldn't have access to them! In fact- just about everyone I talked to today expressed sadness about the news of not having access to Twinkies, Ding Dongs and such- but they couldn't recall the last time they actually had one of them!
For me- it is nostalgia. Ding Dongs and Susie Q's were a special treat. So tasty. I remember smiling and savoring each bite. I remember these treats being bigger and more decadent than they actually are. Yes- we've become a SUPER SIZED NATION! I want my kids to have this memory as well- even though they probably won't because it will not happen after the small stock of boxes I purchased are gone. At least they get to try them. Believe it or not, despite their ages of 10, 8 and 5- I have never had these kinds of treats in our house! No- I'm not opposed to them. They are active, healthy children. I just didn't think to buy them.
Yesterday I explained to them how I used to enjoy these treats as a child, how times have changed, what happened with the union and the sad decision to close up business. Then I gave them each a treat. They enjoyed them and can't wait to have another.
It's the end of jobs for more than 18-thousand people and the end for an American institution for millions. Hopefully a company like Little Debbies will buy their recipe and continue production.
No comments:
Post a Comment